Top 7 SFF Books/Series I Would Put In My Physical Library

I've never been one to get physical copies of books. From a very young age only the local libraries could support my extensive reading addiction. When I discovered how convenient ebooks are I switched almost completely away from physical books to ebooks, whether it's from the library or books I buy on kobo and amazon. So my physical collection is very tiny. It consists of a couple of copies of the Lord of the Rings, one of them very beat-up from the number of times I've read and re-read it, and the Harry Potter books from 3-7 because there was no way I was waiting until that came to the library and had to have them as soon as they came out. I've also got a handful of other books I somehow collected over the years. 

Lately, though, I've found myself mentally shelving certain books into a future physical library. These are all books I loved so much that I know I definitely need to have a copy of them if I ever decide to get a bookshelf and start a physical collection. Since they're so awesome I thought I would share: 


Legacy of the Lost Mage by K. S. Villoso 

I love worldbuilding and this series does it so well. It's one of the best epic fantasy series I've ever read and it's the series that made me realize I wanted to have physical books again! I'd also love to share this series with family and friends and anyone who will listen and I think that'll be much easier to do with physical books. I read the original version before it was re-released (back when it was called the Agartes Epilogues) and I plan to re-read it now that it's been re-released. After that, I'll probably find myself buying physical copies of this series and other books by K. S. Villoso.  


Chronicles of Adalmearc by Daniel E. Olesen 

This series is ongoing and it's also an amazing epic fantasy series that does world-building so well. In terms of style it reminds me of Tolkien's works in the most positive ways and I absolutely love it. I'm eagerly awaiting the third book's release (it's being serialized, but I think I would lose my mind if I had to read it in little bits and couldn't binge it all at once!) Another one that I would love to share with others and read over and over.


Miss Percy's Guide to the Care and Feeding of British Dragons

This is a much more recent read that I absolutely loved. Period Drama with dragons? I was sold on the concept right away and the book absolutely lived up to my expectations. I've been trying to get others who don't read ebooks to give it a try with no luck so far and I'm sure if I had a hard copy I would have much more success in sharing the joy that this book brings. 


Currently by Sarah Mensinga & Shimmerdark by Sarah Mensinga 

I've been slowly realizing over the past couple of years that I have a soft spot for steampunk and these two books are some of the best examples of why. Currently combined a steampunk world and interesting magic system with epic style world-building and I absolutely loved it. Shimmerdark is a little bit more rooted in the tech-ier side of steampunk - the magic system actually blending in with the technology - and its vibe reminded me of Studio Ghibli, especially Hayao Miyazaki's Castle in the Sky. 


Amari and the Night Brothers by B. B. Alston 

This one is a middle-grade book that takes that kid goes to magic school/ discovers a hidden magical world concept and applies it perfectly. It's got a Black female protagonist who is extremely well-written and the world-building is awesome. I would love to have it on my physical shelves so I can share it with the younger people around me and share the magic that I felt when first reading Harry Potter as a teen, but let's be real, it's also so I can re-read it over and over myself! 


Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind Manga by Hayao Miyazaki 

I've always been a huge fan of Miyazaki's movies, especially Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, which has amazing world-building in a unique post-apocalyptic setting with giant insects. I only recently discovered that Miyazaki actually wrote a manga as well. It's so much more detailed than the movie and has a lot of interesting details so even if you've already seen the movie it's definitely worth it to also read the manga. I would definitely want to have all seven volumes of this so I can read and re-read it. 


There are a couple of other non-SFF books that I would want to have on my physical shelves, but in terms of fantasy and science fiction these are the big ones. If you haven't read any of these yet, I would highly recommend checking them out - they've passed the test of not just being enjoyable, but being so good I want to own physical copies of them to read and re-read over and over and share with others. 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 8 Books I Read in 2021

SPSFC 3 Books I've Sampled

Review: Pallas Lost by Jake Morrison