Review: Kir's Fury by Stjepan Varesevac Cobets

 


Kir's Fury is the second book in the Godeena Codex. I loved the first book, Godeena, which stood well enough on its own with a satisfying story that wrapped up nicely, but I was definitely thrilled when I found out the author had written a second book. Because I wanted to dive in right away, I decided not to re-read Godeena, and this showed me that Kir's Fury also works fairly well as a stand alone, though of course, I would still recommend reading Godeena first! 

This book has a much wider focus, showing us many different planets, characters from various different civilizations, and all kinds of interesting tech levels and even some supernatural powers. It felt epic in scale, which I really loved. It starts on the planet Godeena, six years after the events of the first book, and starts with the archaeologist Diana and her team doing their explorations of that planet, trying to uncover the secrets of the lost civilization that once inhabited it. What they uncover exposes a threat to entire civilizations and starts a war, but I really loved that first part a lot! Archaeologist characters are very cool! 

The world-building was excellent and the characters felt like real people too. 

There were a couple of instances where I disliked how some characters were thinking about some of the female character's appearance, etc, but with such a huge cast of characters it kind of makes sense that some of them have less than ideal views or ways of interacting with each other. 

It's been a while since I read Godeena, but just from my memory it seems like this book had a lot more supernatural elements as the different characters and civilizations were introduced. Some of the civilizations were much more technologically advanced, but there was also a lot of stuff that just felt like magic and a few characters who had some really interesting abilities! Since my favourite genre is fantasy, I loved this, of course, and I do think it makes sense that in a huge universe with so many different sentient species there would be such powers. 

As with the first book, there's a big focus on combat and fight scenes and they were generally well-written. This book had more focus on spying, political machinations behind the scenes, and other such details, which I also loved. 

I think if I keep going I'm going to stray into spoiler territory so I'll just leave it here. You should definitely check this book out! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SPSFC 3 Books I've Sampled

Top 8 Books I Read in 2021

Review: Pallas Lost by Jake Morrison