Review: The Ikessar Falcon by K. S. Villoso




The Ikessar Falcon is the breathtakingly excellent sequel to The Wolf of Oren-Yaro. Check out my review of Book 1 here. It's going to be hard to do a proper review without spoilers, but I'll do my best. Let me start by saying that it's a must-read and shows once again that Villoso is a master when it comes to epic fantasy. I couldn't tear myself from the pages! 


Just like The Wolf of Oren-Yaro, the Ikessar Falcon is written in first person from Talyien's POV and just like book 1, this limitation of POV doesn't stop the author from telling a sweeping epic tale, showing us a vast and rich world, and building several characters who feel real and have excellent development. It's not just Tali that gets development, it's all the characters. 


World-building is one of my favourite aspects of reading and why I love epic fantasy so much. I loved this world when I read the Agartes Epilogues (which are being re-released soon, I think!) and I loved it when I read the first book, the World of Oren-Yaro so sinking back into this world in the Ikessar Falcon was such a treat. The world-building unfolds seamelessly from Tali's POV, giving us just enough information about the world when it's needed, and so slowly the reader is able to better understand the world and how everything fits together and learn more about it. And within those little glimpses there are all kinds of little connections to the Agartes Epilogues that made me so happy! If you haven't read the Agartes Epilogues, don't worry, it'll just seem like normal (very well-done) world-building, but for those like me who have read that other trilogy it's just a little extra touch that makes the world all the more real and awesome.


Another excellent aspect of these books is characterization. And look, Tali isn't exactly the most perfect person, if I had her in front of me I would probably have a few pieces of advice for her, but the beautiful thing is that the author doesn't let her off the hook or try to get the reader to ignore or overlook her imperfections. As a reader you grow to love Tali because of her imperfections and struggles and even if there are things you would have done differently you completely understand why Tali is acting the way she is and accept her humanity and her fallibility and it just makes her seem like a real person and not a character in a book. A real person who gets embroiled in a lot of chaos and heartbreak and change! 


Through the course of the Ikessar Falcon Tali really grows to understand herself better and understand the things she's been taking for granted about herself and about those around her. It's almost imperceptible, it's so gradual and realistic and it's surrounded by all kinds of action - and dragons - and magic - and danger! It's fast paced and even though Tali is dragged into all kinds of detours they don't feel annoying or frustrating. I was just along for the ride. I mean, don't get me wrong, it wrecked my emotions, but I was along for the ride and enjoyed every minute of it! 


Increasingly throughout the book as we saw more of Tali's homeland of Jin-Sayeng I started to care more for the fate of the entire Kingdom, not just Tali and her immediate circle. So now, as I prepare to go quickly binge-read book 3, I'm not just rooting for the characters like Tali and Khine I'm also looking forward to seeing Jin-Sayeng get a break and have some peaceful, happy times. *cries* (And yeah, I know my heart is going to be torn out and put through all kinds of stress in the process!) 


Before I end this review I have to point out that this book has some mature subject matter. It's not just the swearing or the violence which is to be expected in an epic fantasy, there are some threats of sexual assault made and there's a sex scene. These things don't take over the book and they werem't so heavy handed so they didn't ruin it for me personally, but they're there, so just keep that in mind going in. 


Finally, I want to mention one of the things I loved most about this book. There are quite a few moments in between the action and danger where Tali's thoughts offer us a gem of introspection like the following quotes: 

"I remembered, with a hint of shame, how much I had admired the way the Zarojo ran their cities when I had first arrived at Anzhao. It was the sort of prosperity that Jin-Sayeng had once enjoyed. Perhaps it was better if we lingered in poverty if this was the price to pay."

"An instant, stretched out. We think we own these moments—that we can will time to stand still while we drink in these loves awhile longer, convinced that the forces of the world will bend their knee to the strength of our emotions. The truth is they are but a ripple in an ocean, a sprinkle of sunlight in a dark world—not ours to contain, not ours to hold as we please."

I know I'll be coming back to read this book again just to uncover more of these awesome, thoughtful descriptions! 


If you read book 1 of the series, The Wolf of Oren-Yaro, then you already know this book is a must-read. I gave The Wolf of Oren-Yaro 5 stars, but I do have to say, I think this book is a step-up. It takes the awesome plots and characters developed in book 1 to their full potential to make an even better sequel. I can't wait to read The Dragon of Jin-Sayeng! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 8 Books I Read in 2021

SPSFC 3 Books I've Sampled

Review: Pallas Lost by Jake Morrison