Review: Shimmerdark by Sarah Menginsa



It's only April, but I already know this book is going on my top reads of the year. Sarah Mensinga has written another excellent fantasy book with unique world-building, excellent character development, a wonderful exploration of systemic problems within a society, and lots of magic and adventure!

Shimmerdark starts off in the claustrophobic environment of a cave where the main character Xylia is sheltering from vicious nocturnes with a few others during a month-long darkness. I wasn't necessarily hooked right from the start with this introductory chapter, but I've read another book by the author and I know she's got excellent world-building skill so I kept reading and was soon glued to the pages. The story and world became extremely interesting as Xylia and her friends got rescued from the island they'd been shipwrecked on and went back to their intriguing world. I particularly love how the steampunk-like technology is woven in with the magical powers that exist in this world. 

The novel follows Xylia's journey as she attempts to regain her previous position of "Predrae" - the second highest position a magic-user (or "cagic" user in this world) can have in the city of Kaverlee. Along the way, she starts to discover more and more about the power she holds and also about the ways in which the laws of her world actually work. It's a fun adventure-filled journey that includes some really interesting uses of magic. Among all the fun you also slowly get to watch as Xylia wrestles with her new understanding of some of the problems of her society. I love that the author blends this growing awareness of society's problems into the story so well and so seamlessly. 

 I also have to mention that this novel sometimes reminded me of Castle in the Sky, one of my favourite Miyazaki movies. It's got a similar sense of wonder and adventure and I could just picture some of the scenes in the final few chapters, with the interesting interplay of technology and magic, being part of a Ghibli movie! 

 This is a must-read! Go check it out right away. And when you're done, check out Sarah Mensinga's other steampunk novel, Currently. Read my review of Currently here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 8 Books I Read in 2021

SPSFC 3 Books I've Sampled

Review: Pallas Lost by Jake Morrison